Gift to band program hits the right notes

Students playing instruments

The music flowing out of Owens Musical Arts Building is a little richer thanks to the generosity of Bill Grubb. His $23,000 gift helped purchase a tuba, bassoon, and five-octave marimba for Baker’s band program.

“I just wanted to help,” said Grubb. “I knew [the department] was looking for instruments, and that’s what I wanted to help get for Baker.”

This gift is in addition to the Chris Grubb Memorial Scholarship, to which he gave $50,000 this year alone. Chris was Grubb’s son, an all-state jazz saxophonist at Baker, who passed away in 1985. In his honor, Grubb created the scholarship, and he hopes this gift is meaningful to the students in the music department that his son cared so much about.

“Bill Grubb’s donation helped us to continue to provide excellent musical experiences for our students by helping Baker purchase quality instruments.”

Dr. Frank Perez, director of bands

“The tuba, bassoon, and five-octave marimba we were able to purchase with this generous donation are costly and difficult for students and our university to afford. They also will help us to attract and recruit students who play these instruments into our band program,” said Perez.

Dr. Trilla Lyerla, chair of the Department of Music and Theatre, also acknowledged how this gift of high-quality instruments means so much to the program.

“Words fail to express the depth of my gratitude to Bill Grubb and his support of Baker University music students. His generosity has for many years provided scholarships to saxophone students in the Jazz Ensemble, and now, additionally, he has provided funding in support of the purchase of new instruments for Baker band students. My heart is filled with gratitude beyond measure.”

Dr. Trilla Lyerla, chair of the Department of Music and Theatre

Grubb, however, took the abundant gratitude in stride.

“It’s very little that I can do, and if I can help, that’s great,” he said.

Credits:

• Written by Baker Proud Staff